The Academic Advisor for Law Program is responsible for providing academic advising to undergraduate and/or graduate students concerning their growth and development by constructing meaningful educational plans, which are compatible with their life (academic) goals. Services include guidance to undergraduate and/or graduate students individually and/or within groups to ensure students understand their academic requirements to be able to stay on track until graduation in their program.
It is vital for an Academic Advisor to work closely with faculty and staff to build support systems for students. The Academic Advisor is an integral member of the Academic Advising Team and reports to both the Dean of School of Public and International Affairs and the Director of Law Program.
- Developing strategic plans for advising based on student data and delivery outcomes;
- Advising students in academic goal-setting and achievement by identifying the most effective and efficient path to program completion;
- Interpreting and explaining University policies and procedures;
- Providing information related to academic programs, leaves of absences, academic probation, transfer options, and services related to special needs, etc.
- Maintaining contact with students throughout the term and provide support while addressing student concerns;
- Maintaining detailed and up to date student records and data accurately and in a timely manner;
- Assisting students with appropriate course selection and specializations/majors/minors in terms of students stated academic preferences;
- Serve as the student’s primary academic advisor throughout the transfer evaluation, course selection, and registration process;
- Advising students on registration, and add/drop, and withdrawal procedures;
- Developing plans for students on academic probation and work with them to identify problems and solutions to help them accomplish their plans of study;
- Providing follow-up services to students experiencing academic difficulties such as students on academic probation;
- Partnering with campus departments and off-campus agencies when necessary to ensure students can access enrichment opportunities (internships, study abroad, capstone);
- Responding promptly and accurately to student inquiries in a timely manner;
- Work collaboratively as a leading team member within the Student Advising team in general;
- Assisting and participating in the formation and implementation of organizational goals and objectives;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in Law; Master degree in law or a related field is an advantage;
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to communicate effectively with a diverse workforce and student population;
- Excellent written and verbal skills. Fluency in English and Azerbaijani;
- Ability to plan, organize and implement assigned responsibilities and to work well under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Ability to participate as a team member, ability to understand and interpret rules and regulations, and ability to adjust to change;
- Ability to present materials effectively to individual students or groups;
- Ability to maintain records, prepare reports, and conduct correspondence related to the work.
Interested candidates are requested to submit, preferably in Word or PDF format, attached to an e-mail message: (1) a letter of interest specifying suitability for the position, when available and minimum expected salary (in AZN), (2) an updated resume and (3) the names, email and business addresses of at least 3 references.
Send materials via e-mail to [email protected] specifying the Job Title in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for application is August 8, 2021.
Please visit this link for more information about the vacancy.